[PDF / Epub] ✩ Imaginary Worlds ☉ Lin Carter – Dolove.info

Imaginary Worlds From The Cover Blurb Like Lin Carter S Other Look Behind Volumes On JRR Tolkien And HPLovecraft , This Book Examines The Background And Creation Of The Imaginary Worlds Of Some Of The Most Famous Writers To Appear In The Field Of Adult FantasyIMAGINARY WORLDS Is A Book About Fantasy, About The Men Who Write It, And How It Is Written It Is A Joyful Excursion By A Man Who Himself Loves Fantasy, Into The Origins And The Magicks Of Such Writers As Dunsany, Eddison, Cabell It Examines The Rise Of Fantasy In The American Pulp Magazines And Delights In The Sturdy Health Of Sword And Sorcery It Looks With Pleasure On The Works Of Some Modern Masters And Knowledgeably Explores The Techniques Of World MakingIt Is, In Short, A Happy Exploration Of Worlds, And Men, And Writers, And Writings, By An Author Whose Enthusiasm For His Subject Is Boundless And Is Thus A Joyful Guide For Fantasy Lovers Everywhere


About the Author: Lin Carter

Linwood Vrooman Carter was an American author of science fiction and fantasy, as well as an editor and critic He usually wrote as Lin Carter known pseudonyms include H P Lowcraft for an H P Lovecraft parody and Grail Undwin.Carter had a marked tendency toward self promotion in his work, frequently citing his own writings in his nonfiction to illustrate points and almost always including at



10 thoughts on “Imaginary Worlds

  1. says:

    Carter is a man of strong opinions and bold statements, effusive with praise and cranky with criticism This is not a cold and scholarly work, but directly addresses the reader in a conversational style whose enthusiasm is often contagious and bursts its levees he can t resist gushi


  2. says:

    This book was published in 1973, so it s certainly not an up to date survey of fantasy literature I m not up to date, either and I m not sure that I want to be , so that doesn t bother me in the least Carter writes in an informal, fanboy style that I find quite infectious He is definitel


  3. says:

    This is very much a book of two halves The first half, an overview of the early writers who helped to shape the modern fantasy genre, is pretty gripping stuff Carter nails precisely what makes writers like Dunsany and Eddison so pivotal to the genre, as well as superb writers in their own righ


  4. says:

    Two stars for Lin Carter s history of the pulp era of science fiction Zero stars for his jaw dropping how to write fantasy section at the back, which occupies a quarter to a third of the book.Carter gives a reasonable history of the early pulps, although he does not seem to care for really original


  5. says:

    Having been published in 73, the book s outdatedness was also a strength Carter focuses a lot on the pulps and pre Tolkienian work than an equivalent modern survey of fantasy literature would.


  6. says:

    From Tor.com Lin Carter s Imaginary Worlds The Art of Fantasy is a study of the evolution of fantasy fiction, beginning with its earliest predecessors to the work of then contemporary practitioners Published in June 1973 as part of the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series, it is an ambitious title magnificently flaw


  7. says:

    Travel back to a time when Lin Carter felt the need to defend L Sprague de Camp s red blooded ness a time when Tolkein s inexplicable cult following was at it s Led Zeppelin inspiring peak, and Ursula le Guin and Michael Moorcock were newcomers Once there, be prepared to then simmer in a swamp of fanzine style critic


  8. says:

    Another book about fantasy writers and legends in the Tolkien tradition Pretty good.


  9. says:

    Roughly 75% of this book is a history of fantasy sword and sorcery literature The other 25% is Carter s advice on writing in the genre The first larger part of the book was definitely superior to the second smaller part.Carter is at his best in assessing the late 19th and early to mid 20th century authors and works in the genre


  10. says:

    A companion piece to the Carter edited Ballantine Adult Fantasy series, this is a must read for anyone interested in the obscure byways of Anglo American fantasy from the 19th through the mid 20th centuries Carter s scholarship lets him down at times and his personal biases are perhaps a bit too obvious, and there s no question that t


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *